- Job Title: Homeless Services Specialist
- Location: Crookston
- Employee Type: Exempt
- Required Degree: High School
- Travel: 30%
- Manage Others: No
Our agency is actively looking for a Full-Time Homeless Services Specialist for Polk County.
As a Partner in Wellbeing, the Homeless Services Specialist assists homeless clients with a mental illness, trauma, and/or chemical dependency to develop the skills and supports necessary to acquire and maintain suitable, safe, and affordable housing. These services will be provided in the client’s home and community of choice primarily on a one-to-one basis but may also be provided in virtual settings.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Conduct screening and intake process in a timely manner (within 48 hours) upon receiving a referral that is consistent with grant requirements.
- Work closely with local housing authorities, community action agencies, county social service agencies, treatment and correctional facilities, as well as with landlords in the region to develop and provide a multitude of supportive housing services which meet the needs of the clients served by the Homeless Program.
- Coordinate, monitor, review and update with project staff, individual clients, outside agencies, and with staff in developing an individualized plan to address each client’s needs and goals (at least quarterly).
- Determine what housing the client can afford, assist clients in accessing needed resources, assist clients in looking for appropriate and affordable housing, assist clients in accessing housing assistance if needed (Section 8 choice vouchers, housing assistance slots), assist clients in securing and maintaining housing per program and funding source requirements.
- Complete all intake and HMIS paperwork for the client and the respective funding source.
- Maintain documentation in the agency EHR and the HMIS system, correct any errors in HMIS entries and have all documentation corrected and entered into HMIS within deadlines for reporting.
- For clients unable to develop necessary home maintenance skills, assist the client in securing the necessary natural and agency supports.
- Assist each client, as needed, to contact and remain in contact, with the resources that have been identified as important for participant’s continued progress.
- Attend all training and training updates with HMIS (Homeless Management Information System), CES (Coordinated Entry System), and as directed by the funding sources or program.
- Focuses on integrated health (physical, mental, substance use and oral) care ensuring that clients are referred to any necessary internal and/or external services to support their overall well-being.
- Participates in all care coordination activities concerning clients on caseload as indicated.
- Mental Health Practitioner preferred, willing to train individuals with the right skill set.
- Knowledge in regional housing resources or ability to learn them.
- Ability to work with individuals involved in the legal system who may have an active addiction, mental illness, or trauma without judgment and ability to meet the client where they are at in providing person-centered care.
- Must pass a criminal background check through MH DHS NetStudy.
- Access to a personal vehicle and the ability and willingness to use the vehicle in carrying out position responsibilities.
- Valid driver’s license and insurable under the agency’s automobile insurance policy.
- Free from substance use problems for no less than two years.
Don’t meet every single requirement? At Alluma, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role, but your past experience aligns differently with some qualifications in the description, we encourage you to apply anyway! You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles!